The city is located in the Mureș River valley. The current Romanian name of the city, Târgu Mureș, is the equivalent with the Hungarian Marosvásárhely, both meaning “market on the Mureș (Maros) river”.
The first known recorded documentation of the city dates to 1332. It is mentioned in the papal registry under the Latin name Novum Forum Siculorum meaning New Szekler Marketplace, and under the Hungarian name Sekulvasarhel (Székelyvásárhely) meaning Szekler Marketplace in 1349.
This ornate secessionist-style building, ostentatiously tiled on the outside and colourfully furnished within, is unlike anything else in Transylvania. Built 1911–13, the Palace of Coulture harbours busts and glass portraits of composers, glinting chandeliers, Carrara marble stairways, mirrors imported from Venice, a regally decorated concert hall, and display rooms on local history and art (all included in the entry price). The undisputed highlight is the Hall of Mirrors (Sala Oglinzi), where Székely village life and dark fairy-tales are immortalised in stained glass.
The Ascension of the Lord Cathedral is a Romanian Orthodox cathedral in Târgu Mureş. It was built between 1925 and 1934 on the initiative of Archpriest Ştefan Rusu. As the seat of an archpriest and not a bishop, it is a church and not technically a cathedral, but is commonly referred to as such.
The Cathedral’s cornerstone was laid on May 10, 1925, an event witnessed by, among others, the Minister of Religious Affairs, Alexandru Lapedatu, Bishop Nicolae Ivan, and Octavian Goga, who was a government minister at the time.
The cathedral was built according to the plans of architect Victor Vlad of the Polytechnic University of Timișoara, in the form of a Greek cross.
The Teleki Library (Hungarian: Teleki Téka, Romanian: Biblioteca Teleki-Bolyai), also known as Teleki-Bolyai Library and Bibliotheca Telekiana, is a historic public library and current museum in Târgu-Mureş. One of the richest Transylvanian collections of cultural artefacts, it was founded by the Hungarian Count Sámuel Teleki in 1802, at the time when Transylvania was part of the Habsburg Monarchy, and has been open to the reading public ever since. It was among the first institutions of its kind in the Kingdom of Hungary.
It houses over 200,000 volumes, of which many are rarities, constituting a comprehensive scientific database. The book collection is divided into several smaller libraries, of which the two main donations are the original 40,000-volume Teleki Library and the 80,000-volume Bolyai Library; the rest, grouped as the Miscellaneous Collection, is made up of several private libraries, volumes previously held by religious schools and those of a Franciscan monastery. Overall, the library constitutes a collection of most traditional types of Transylvanian book.
The Medieval Fortress is located in the city center, just 10 minutes from our apartments. The fortress consists in a construction fortified with 7 bastions joined with walls.
The medieval fortress was rebuilt on the ruins of a fortress destroyed in 1601. Currently, the fortress is restored after an extensive process that lasted over 5 years. In Medieval Fortress were discovered, among other things, traces of the country’s first brick and bronze factory, which means that the fortress was among the first industrialized fortifications in Romania.
Over time it hosted many cultural events, which has become a tradition.
The zoo is located on the highest altitudine of the city on Cornesti Plateau, where you can admire the panoramic view of the river Mures and Tirgu Mures city. The zoo is one of the most important attractions for locals and tourists. Currently, the zoo has about 500 animals – local fauna and exotic.
Book apartments at us to be close to the important tourist attractions.
BOOK EARLY AND SAVE
Book any of our apartments three months earlier to receive 15% discount.